วันอาทิตย์ที่ 19 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2552

What kind of insurance for a horse boarding stable?

I have a riding stable with 5 of my own horses. A friend is boarding her daughter's pony here. Board covers the bare minimum of costs and the family helps with barn work.

There is a demand for boarding in our area and I have had numerous requests.

What kind of insurance do I need if I want to take on boarders? Also, what kind of insurance do I need if I allow boarders to also ride my horses?

Our one boarder wants to work with a trainer using my horse as she is rapidly outgrowing her pony. The daughter is 14 years old and a very fine rider.

I want to make sure everyone is protected and no problems occur if someone gets hurt on my property.


I carry a basic property insurance that includes my own horses (Not boarders). I hate to sound like a cheap skate but my attorney drew up a set of very iron clad release from liability forms. That release myself, my staff and my property from any liability to the boarders, thier horses, their tack, their vehicles or any and all property they bring on my premises and and damage to others caused by their horse should it escape.

Check your states equine liability act if it has one and see exactly how far you are released from liability under your states act.

USE and attorney to write your releases, one that is well versed in your states equine laws. In my state by signing the releases it constitutes a contract that will stand up in court.

In todays world of stupid people sueing businesses for their own individual stupidity and claiming negligence at every turn, I would not b e concerned about the boarders health and well being. I am more concerned with the litigation and finacial ruin they will put you through for their own gain.

One example is a suit brought against me in 2002 where a parent signed the releases for her child to ride in my arena, claiming the child (15) was a very experienced rider. Long story short the kid had never ridden before he got on his gelding in my arena and lost control of the horse almost instantly and got tossed hard into the arena panels breaking his arm, fracturing his skull and breaking several ribs.

A month later I recieved notice I was being sued, It was being claimed I was negligent in letting the child ride a horse beyond his ability.

The release with the parents signature relieved me of responsability and the clause that I was not going to enforce (riders are responsable for damages to my property while riding) Got them ordered to compensate me for the bent up corral panel.

I do carry a liability insurance that covers people with out releases that is pretty cheap. I am more worried about people tresspassing and getting in the wrong paddock and a wild horse killing them.

Your insurance rates will be considerably lower also if you have a strict release policy. I won't let my own kids ride without a signed release from my X wife, hell I wouldnt let my own mother on the property with out signing a release.

IL. has a very good equine liability act, when used in conjunction with releases. The only way to get in any real trouble here is if you knowingly and intentionally cause someone or their animal harm. Thus I dont carry insurance for boarded horses or their owners or guest. Depending on your states liability laws really depends on your level of insurance if any.

You need "Care, Custody, and Control", plus an umbrella liability policy. This hould cover you, but it's best to contact an agent who deals in this type of policy. We use American Bankers Life.

For here in FL, I carry a seperate equine liability policy, which you should if your homeowners doesn't cover the horses. Even if they say they do, a lot of homeowners won't cover for example your horse getting out and kicking someones car. I also carry CCC - Care Custody and Control for boarded horses. If you can get a ranch or farm policy in your state, you can roll your homeowners, equine liability, CCC and if you wanted to add trailering, instructor etc you can all on one policy. The best thing to do is call a insurance agent who specializes in equine insurance and ask them what's needed in your area. Florida is so hard since a lot of the home owners insurance companies have pulled out.

0 ความคิดเห็น: